Network of Networks
The next generation in wireless will be characterized by the seamless integration of multiple communications networks, which include other air interfaces, that intelligently and constantly connect people and things across a myriad of wide, local, and personal area networks.
Traditional networks were designed to connect people to people. Today, we are seeing the beginnings of people connecting to things and machine-to-machine communications, resulting in a dramatic expansion of data connections per person and the rapid rise of new industry players. However, the pieces are still highly complex, unorganized and disconnected.
Enabling a world that is seamlessly connected and fully integrated, with billions of subscribers and trillions of connections, represents a huge opportunity for innovations across several key areas:
- Dependable connections for everyone, everything, everywhere
- Ultra-broadband, low latency, high capacity, and reliable coverage for limitless applications, and flexible bandwidth management
- QoS flexibility, balancing high throughput with low power, low cost, and small size, subject to application needs
- Security and privacy, preventing misuse, tampering, malware, other unauthorized access, and intelligent data routing
- Making it work together, transparent and seamless to the user, regardless of network technologies, and with a sound business case for all players in the value chain.
InterDigital’s research team continues to focus on solving the toughest technical problems in wireless. That’s what we do best. We are widely recognized for our work in fundamental wireless system architectures and known as pioneers in wireless resource management, network robustness, and interference mitigation – key attributes that will be even more critical tomorrow.