A Leading Contributor to Wireless Standards
Through its work with leading standards organizations, InterDigital has played a central role in defining global wireless standards for the industry. Most notable are the company’s many contributions to the principal wireless standards groups that are developing the specifications for future generation wireless communications technologies and products. Currently, hundreds of our technology contributions on WCDMA, HSDPA and HSUPA are included in today’s 3G mobile specifications. InterDigital is also among the leading contributors to the standardization process for LTE (Long Term Evolution) and LTE-Advanced, various IEEE 802 groups such as 802.11, ETSI TC M2M and RRS.
Leadership Positions Held
InterDigital has served, or is currently serving, in many important leadership positions in key industry standards initiatives. Included among these are:
- Chair of the IEEE 802.16a Task Group (WiMAX Broadband Wireless Access, 2-11 GHz)
- Chair of the IEEE 802.16e Task Group (WiMAX Mobile Broadband Wireless Access, based on the 2-11GHz IEEE 802.16a air interface)
- Chair of the IEEE 802.16m Task Group (WiMAX 802.16 Advanced)
- Vice Chair of the 3GPP RAN Working Group 3 (WG3)
- Vice Chair of ATIS WTSC Radio Access Newtwork (RAN) Subcommittee
- North American Rapporteur for ITU-R IMT-2000 Deployment Handbook
- Chair, IEEE 802.21b (Downlink Only Technologies)Task Group
- Editor, 3GPP RAN WG1 Physical Layer Procedures (TDD)(R5)
- Editor and Rapporteur, 3G PP RAN WG4, TDD Base Station Classification
We view standards development as the foundation of wireless innovation… the framework for every mobile device that powers people’s lives.